Most Adorn items are one-of-a-kind. Be one of the first to see newly posted items! Join our SPAM-FREE email list! Subscribers are privy to special sales and promotions others are not. SIgn-up today!
Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name: Email: Subscribe Unsubscribe

3.17.2009

A Bit About Me...and a recipe

So, I thought it would be fun to do a post and tell you a little about myself. My name is Emily and I am a stay at home mom to 4 sons. I have another son on the way, due in June. Mostly my days are filled with driving kids around, making meals, and cleaning up after kids. I was raised in a family of seven girls (I am right in the middle). So, I really have no idea what to do with boys! I have learned that boys are very loud, very active, and very messy! They are also quite funny and my youngest is the snuggliest child I have ever known!





So, after finding that this baby I am carrying is going to be another boy, I was really mourning the loss of a daughter. I think this will be our last child, and coming from a family of girls it is sad for me to think I will never have a daughter. BUT, I have come to terms with it and I am trying to embrace being the mother of a basketball team!

The thing about me, though, is that I am very girly. I really like to do girly things. So, jewelry making is one way I put that girly energy to use. I also have a degree in interior architecture and design. So, I sort of have that creative energy. Another thing I like to do is bake (and eat) sweets! Unfortunately, I am NOT one of those people that can just eat whatever they want. So, sometimes I have to restrict myself from baking, because the truth is I really have no self-control when it comes to eating baked goods! BUT, since I am pregnant with my LAST child, I figure this is my last "excuse" to eat some yummy treats! So, I have been allowing myself to bake a little more lately.



Today, I decided to make homemade buttermilk donuts for my kids in honor of St. Patrick's Day. We also had these on New Year's Eve. They are not hard to make, but it is helpful if you have someone to assist you in the assembly line. I am sharing the recipe, so if you make them, plet me know how you liked them. Enjoy!



Homemade Buttermilk Donuts


2 cups buttermilk

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

5 1/2 cups flour

2 tsps baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

1/4 cup melted butter

Glaze

a bowl of powdered sugar

a splash of vanilla

a little melted butter

enough milk to make it turn into a good consistency for dipping donuts

Chocolate Glaze

same as above, but omit the vanilla and add some cocoa powder (I use Hershey's dark)

Ok, so I don't always measure. If you don't feel comfortable mixing up your own glaze just find a recipe for one somewhere. They are all about the same.



Directions:


Put the buttermilk, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl mix it up. I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix it up until combined. Put a bunch of flour on the counter and plop the dough in the middle. Sprinkle some flour on top and then roll out your dough to about 1/4" thickness. Make sure there is plently of flour underneath so it doesn't stick. Cut out your donuts. You can re-roll the scraps and use them too. And don't forget to fry your donut holes...the kids love them! Fry in vegetable oil heated to 375-385 degrees. Fry until golden brown on both sides. You can test one to make sure the inside gets cooked. Drain on paper towels. I like to eat them warm, so I glaze them when they are warm. Or you can let them cool and then glaze them. To glaze them, just dip them in the glaze and them put them on a cookie sheet to dry. Makes about 2 dozen large donuts or 4 dozen small ones.

4 comments:

Susie Q said...

They look yummy...I came from a family of 3 girls, I was the middle child also...even our pets were female! My hubby is the oldest of 4 boys and, like you, I had NO idea what boys would be like. We have 2 of each, boys, then girls and yes, it got noisy (which my mom didn't understand). They are noisy, dirty, messy, loud...but they still snuggle...mine are 23, 21, 18 and 9--surprise!

Chiemi said...

Those look so fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know a little more about you. Thank you. I'm the middle girl of 3 girls and have a little brother too(last one of the children... poor boy!) and I've 2 boys... I'm really happy to have boys because even if we were more girls at home when I was young, I felt better to have boys... We would like to have another child in a couple of years, and I don't know what it will be... but I guess that in my oldest days, I won't regrett if I have a girl to talk with, more than with boys...
Thank you also to share recipe. I think it's a good idea...

EMILY said...

Laurie,
Thank you so mch for the sweet comment! I appreciate it. I am feeling better about the whole thing and hope one day to have great daughters in law and some sweet little granddaughters to spoil and teach. Mostly, I am so thankful I am able to have children so easily...what a great blessing!